Open Letter Requesting Help From The Universe/God
Need help with my rent increase.
When landlords try to take advantage especially if it is personal I feel I have to say something.
Today I received a rent increase from my landlord. The contract I signed was valid until the 1st of April 2023 and when I questioned what would happen after that period the agent said there would be a price increase.
I am currently paying £655 and my landlord has just increased the rent to £865
Maximum Rent Increase Per Year
The Maximum he can increase the rent to is £164.87 for a 2-bedroom property which equates to £819.87 Let’s round it off to £820 which is a difference of £45.00 he trying to overcharge per month.
I checked the prices of flats in my area and this is what I found (Dated 30/03/23):
I have never had an EPC report although my landlord tried to pass off the ground floor flat to be in the same condition as mine and I just handed back the report to the agent. I have never had an EPC inspection on my property, and although I may have one done privately, I have lived at the property for 24 years. I know I should have jumped on the property ladder years ago but things got in the way, long story which I will leave for another day.
I will not list all the things wrong with this flat but will just mention my previous articles about my concerns. I even published a page about Landlords & Tenants Useful links. I think my landlord and his agent friend think I was born yesterday.
Landlords & Asbestos
Smoke Alarm Concerns.
Smoke Alarm Testing Residential Properties & Hearing Loss.
Electrical Safety Inspection Concerns.
I have never had a copy of the electrical safety report and prove the electrics are not fit for purpose.
Argument with the electrician.
Electrical Safety 5-Year Checks
Rising Damp, Black Mold & Links to MS.
This is the state of my walls and I have been told to just wash them down with bleach and soapy water. However each time I do it that it keeps coming back. Furthermore, my furniture is ruined as it also has black mold. I have now contacted ‘Rent Smart Wales’ and am waiting on a reply.
Rising Damp, Black Mold & Links to MS.
Black Mold & Multiple Sclerosis Connection.
Unprofessional Cardiff Gas Engineers – No PPE.
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Tenants can ask their landlord to make energy performance improvements based on the EPC recommendations. (I have never had an EPC rating done in the whole 24 years I have lived at the property, although the landlord wanted to pass off the EPC certificate for the ground floor to be in the same condition as my flat).
I will calculate how much energy I have lost over the 24 years based on the report I am about to get. I do not trust my landlord to give me a report and I do not trust it will be legitimate.
My Meter Reading On the 1st of April 2023
Since April 2018, unless they have been granted an exemption, landlords have not been permitted to rent out homes that have an EPC rating of F or G.
A cold home cannot be maintained at a temperature between 18°C to 21°C at a reasonable cost to the occupier. Living in cold conditions can cause serious health problems.
- Supply adequate heating in proper working order.
- Ensure the property is insulated, meeting a minimum EPC E rating.
- Repair broken windows and doors.
- Check if central heating (radiators or air vents connected to a central heat source, such as a boiler) is working properly.
- If there is no central heating, make sure there is an alternative type of adequate heating throughout the property, such as storage heaters.
- A low EPC rating indicates that your property does not retain heat very well and may be very cold during the winter. (I am not going to ask him to supply me with an EPC report because I do not trust him).
- Ask your landlord to carry out some of the recommendations in the Energy Performance Certificate
Damp and mold
Damp and mold can cause or worsen respiratory problems, infections, allergies, or asthma. They can also affect the immune system, particularly in young children and those with certain medical conditions. Damp also contributes to excessive heat loss and puts up heating bills, as well as causing damage to build fabric and contents, including clothes and furniture.
Tackle dampness including, if necessary, making repairs to the property’s structure and exterior (this includes repairs that are likely to be the cause of dampness and mold, such as leaking gutters)
Make sure that the property is properly ventilated
Look out for damp patches on walls and ceilings, mold, peeling wallpaper, and condensation on windows. Check the property is adequately insulated, heated, and ventilated, for example, ensure you can open and close windows securely
Faulty wiring and old, untested electrical installations can lead to fires, shocks, burns, and even death. Wired fuses or cartridges present a much higher risk and are a significant fire hazard.
- Make sure that electrical installations and electrical equipment supplied is safe at the outset of the tenancy
- Regularly carry out basic safety checks to make sure that the electrical installations and appliances are safe and working
- Carry out safety checks on electrical installations at least every 5 years (I have had one check in the last 24 years).
- Check that the lights turn on and off and check that plug sockets are not coming loose from the wall (The Electrical Safety Inspections should have tested all plugs and sockets – which they failed to do and emitted from supplying me with a copy f the report).
- Check there are no frayed or exposed cables or wires
- Check there are Residual Current Devices (RCDs) protecting all circuits. (An RCD is a safety device that switches off electricity automatically if there is a fault)
- Try to minimize the use of extension sockets and leads as this can be a fire risk
- If you feel you do not have enough electrical sockets contact your landlord or local authority
Chemicals and hazardous substances
Asbestos If Asbestos is present landlords should seek professional advice on its removal.
Tenants your landlord should seek professional advice on its removal. You should not attempt to remove it yourself.
Asbestos was commonly used in building materials in the 1950s and 1960s as a material to resist the spread of fire. It was also used in Artex predominantly before 1985. However, it was not banned from use in new buildings until around 2000. Materials containing asbestos are generally safe if they are in good condition but if broken or damaged can release harmful fibers and dust into the air. You can find out more from the Health and Safety Executive (HSWE).
In certain parts of the country, there is a risk to health from exposure to radon gas and you can find more details from Public Health England.
Lead from paint or water/waste pipes has the potential to cause nervous disorders, and mental health or behavioral problems. Paint with a high level of lead content tends to be found in older houses and dissolved lead is only likely in acidic (i.e. usually private) water supplies.
Because of this price increase, I can say my mental health has been affected. I am now going into a deep state of depression and to be honest considering I am supposed to be somewhat strong, I feel I cannot hold on much longer.
I document my health:
My Health Diary | DISABLED ENTREPRENEUR – DISABILITY UK
Renata’s Online Journal | DISABLED ENTREPRENEUR – DISABILITY UK
USEFUL LINKS | DISABLED ENTREPRENEUR – DISABILITY UK
Landlords & Tenants Useful Links – CYMRU DIGITAL MARKETING BUSINESS JOURNAL – CARDIFF – WALES – UK – & BEYOND (cymrumarketing.com)
- My landlord claims because of mortgage price increases he has had to increase the rent. Now let’s do the maths say his property is worth £500K and he has remortgaged the property say for 10 years he will have to pay just over £1000 per month but given the fact, there are two properties in the building and he already collects £1800 per month, increasing it at the expense of the vulnerable is unethical and immoral.
Because of my landlord, I am emotionally distressed:
Emotional Distress Compensation | DISABLED ENTREPRENEUR – DISABILITY UK
“Call it a cry for help if you will but I am feeling really low”.
I need more work to come in so that I can pay this greedy individual.
To think he suffers from bipolar, he would be more understanding, seeing as he knows my daughter and I have disabilities.
Asking the Universe to help me
I am willing to see things differently. I surrender my fear and I choose to see this with love instead. Please help me to be a better person and get through this turmoil. Let me be healthy enough to continue my journey and help to motivate and empower others so that they do not feel helpless, at a loss or alone. Please Universe/God help me sell more of my services and get people to buy the one-word dot com domain names I have on my books. This in itself will turn my life around for the better. If there is anyone out that can help me to help the world by investing in me…Renata x
Disability UK -Disabled Entrepreneur Online Journal
- I Thank God, I Have a Beautiful Intelligent, and Very Funny Daughter.
- I Thank God, I Have a Roof Over My Head.
- I Thank God I Have Food To Eat.
- I Thank God I Am Warm and Dry.
- I Thank God I Have a Business.
- I Thank God I Have Many Followers and Subscribers on Social Media.
- I Thank God I Get A Lot Of Traffic To My Websites
- I Thank God I Am Creative.
- I Thank God I Am Good At Content Writing.
- I Thank God I Am Good With Marketing.
- I Thank God That I Get To See Another Day.
- I Thank God That I Can Teach, Inspire & Motivate People.
- I Thank God People Appreciate My Work.
- Energy Company Obligation (ECO) – Homeowners and tenants | Ofgem (Grants For Warmer Homes to include double glazing).
I plan to contact ‘Rent Smart Wales’ to get some advice before sending an email to my landlord and agent. I will also do some research and will add further information to the post including images to further help with my case.
I received a reply from Rent Smart Wales and this is what they said:
Thank you for contacting Rent Smart Wales.
Rent Smart Wales has been implemented to improve the standards of the Private Rented Sector by raising landlords & agents knowledge regarding the letting & managing of rental properties. We are not trained to give legal advice on legal matters between landlords, agents, tenants or third parties as this would be acting outside of our remit however, we always try our best to signpost customers to the relevant departments which may be able to offer assistance.
Please find the link for Fitness For Human Habitation Guidance: Property Conditions, as the Part 4 of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 sets out a landlord’s responsibility to provide dwellings that are safe and fit for human habitation.
Also please find the link to the code of practise for licensed Agents and Landlords.
In terms of EPC’s, since April 1st 2020, most rental properties in Wales should have an Energy Performance Certificate displaying a rating of E or above. If this is not the case, the property is likely failing to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard requirements set by the UK Government.
Please follow the link for further information.
Please also check on our resources page for more information on the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016. Rent Smart Wales is not able to provide tailored advice in relation to Renting Homes; however if you do have any further queries once you have completed the training and read through the information above, you can email the Renting Homes team at Welsh Government on email@example.com. Alternatively, you could seek independent legal advice.
If you wish for your data to be deleted, you will need to contact the Information Governance Team for Cardiff Council who can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to Improvement and Information, County Hall, Cardiff, CF10 4UW.
If you require any further advice or assistance please contact us by phone to 03000133344, through the Contact Us Form on our website www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/contact or via post to: Rent Smart Wales, PO Box 1106, Cardiff, CF11 1UA.
Cyfarchion / Kind regards,
#landlords #rent #rentincrease #privateaccomodation #privaterent #privaterenting #infaltion #costofliving #prayers #lawofattraction #manifestation #mentalhealth